Wednesday 4 December 2019

December 4, 2019



For today's Yule calendar surprise, we have a poem by Miss Lina, our yellow biscuit lover. She has written a poem about her childhood days and the loooong wait for Yule (and the biscuits).

Waiting fer the yuletide cheer


When winter chills us to the bone

And all the birds off south has flown

I wake at night and look around

And leave me bed without a sound



I tiptoe past me mother’s door

Asleep, cause I can hear her snore

I wrap up warm and head outside

And run into the fields so wide



The snowy fields they beckon me

All white wherever I can see

I roll around in winter’s cold

And swear I never will grow old



I build a snowman near a stream

Together we are quite the team

He is my knight in armour white

And we will have much fun tonight



But soon, the night gets colder still

I must go home to stay the chill

I rub me hands against the cool

I sigh and hope for days of yule



It fills me with a merry mood

The thought of friends and lots of food

The simple things that bring me cheer

If only there were biscuits here!



But yule is still a while away

No matter what the gaffers say

I wish it soon would come along

For I have waited far too long!



As I get home, I see a light

A candle in the window bright

Not now the cold that makes me shake

It seems me ma is wide awake



I fear the worst as she comes out

My eyes well up and soon I pout

She sighs, but then she smiles at me

And serves me honey-sweetened tea



She wraps me in a blanket warm

And says I’ll never come to harm

My dog creeps up into me lap

I yawn and drift into a nap



I dream of snowy fields of white

Where snowmen march on through the night

They whisper to me through the cool

“Rest up, because it’ll soon be yule”



No sweeter memory of old

Than early winter days of cold

When hobbit children everywhere

Can hardly wait for yuletide cheer

No comments:

Post a Comment