Monday 23 December 2019

Answer to the riddle published on 2nd December 2019

On December 2nd, 2019, I published an in-game riddle in this hobbity yule calendar, a riddle that could be solved on the Laurelin server. I have organized other riddle adventures in the Shire before (you can see my own website for more information about them), and this time, I wanted to give others a riddle that they could solve on their own. Here is the riddle:

First, go south, to the pool with leaves
Behind it, a giant stands on a hill
It has four wings, yet it can’t fly
Next to it, another giant bows deep
Pounce down the hill to a pouncer's den
Go inside to claim your prize

Once yer there, one more thing to solve
One last riddle to understand it all:

"If I have a lock on me, I might hold a treasure
But with no lock, I guard the thing that keeps you alive
What am I?"

Find me and you'll find the final answer. 

As you may have figured out, this riddle has something to do with the Shire homesteads (and they, of course, have different inhabitants on different servers). So that's why you "go south". Now, the "pool with leaves" might be tricky. Every Shire homestead has a pool with leaves in the middle. Which one is this then? Oh, wait.


That's it, the place is called Leafpool. Now, you should enter the homesteads and go beyond the pool in the middle of the homesteads. Then, you should look for a giant on a hill with four wings, yet it can't fly. Now, what could that be?


A windmill, of course! Now, next to it, there should be another giant that "bows deep".


It's the tree! (There's also a dwarf statue there, but I didn't add him to the riddle, as it belongs to another home and might disappear at some point).

Now, you should pounce down the hill to a pouncer's den. That sounds a bit peculiar, but let's take a look at the nearby burrows and see if there are any-- oh!


Well, that must be it. You might take a look at the yard decoration - there is a lilypad tub, a sandcastle, a strange pool, a yule tree and a well. Then, you hop inside...


... to this! It's a bath trap! At least fer yer feet, that is. Suddenly, you might remember another entry from the hobbity yule calendar: the one about the Yule bath tradition, written by Miss Almi, a former nanny who is eager to give hobbits their Yule baths. Oh dear. So this is what explains them pools and tubs outside in the yard...

But the riddle is not solved yet! Once inside, you should look for something that is the answer to the last riddle:

"If I have a lock on me, I might hold a treasure
But with no lock, I guard the thing that keeps you alive
What am I?"


The answer? A chest! And there's one in a small room. Let's open it!

Oh, there's a message...




Well, our suspicions are hereby confirmed. The one behind this riddle was indeed Miss Almi who wanted to give us a Yule bath. If you send her a letter, you might get somet else than a bath in return. Hopefully.



No comments:

Post a Comment